Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Typography, it's a love hate thing.

I love typography. I hate typography.

You see words everywhere. When are they meaningless? When are they informing? When are they selling me something? When are they doing all of the above? Hell if I know. But I do know that commanding words force us to pay attention. Like a stop sign (well, hopefully it makes you pay attention).

When do words become more than letters? We've all seen simple shapes form out of letters.



But look, type doesn't have to be so literal.



And type can be more beautiful than the words.


My problem with type is that people tend to use it very, very very, very very very poorly. Which makes me want to vomit. At least someone agrees with me.


But being an advertiser/graphic designer means you're bound to typography, whether you like it or not (I don't see the human race returning to grunts and cave drawings any time soon, but don't quote me on that). And on the positive side, all the horrible uses just emphasize the brilliant ones. Well, that applies to most facets of life, but you get my point.


No comments:

Post a Comment