Friday, May 27, 2011

John Foster: Accidental Mysteries

John Foster is a writer/photographer who reports on designobserver.com as well as other publications/blogs. He recently made a post that highlighted mysterious patterns in nature. The beautiful images caught my eye.






I have always thought about how all humans do is emulate aspects of nature. It shows in our actions and our perception of design. Ever since I was little I was drawing things and shapes just like these. This proves the human conscious is bound to natural facts. Every culture has design that is "organic" (that's in quotations because everything is organic, even industry, but I digress...).

These are some drawings I did when I was younger that remind me of the previous pictures.






I have a million other, further developed drawings that share a dendritic, organic, or tubular theme. I imagine as my neurons fire in my brain while drawing, I subconsciously draw out the patterns of my thoughts. Maybe that's why I've identified with automatic art for most of my life.

I think if we learn to tap in to our primordial gifts of understanding and emulating nature, we could all make beautiful art. Ever wonder why children's art sometimes looks like a master painted it (watch "My Kid Could Paint That")?

So why am I talking about this? I think that if we returned to an automatic (chance driven, subconscious) thought process while designing, all design would benefit. Don't quote me on that though. If someone drew squiggles on paper and wrote "come to McDonald's" under it I might cry. Wait, actually that's better than most McDonald's advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment