Friday, May 20, 2011

The Mars Volta - Great Music, Great Design

I love The Mars Volta. I've listened to them for over a decade now, and they never get old. Their music is complex and brilliant. They are an acquired taste, because (like most great things) people aren't used to something different. They are nothing like what's on the radio, so they don't appeal to people who like to follow trends or fit in with a large group. You might say they require thought, which most people my age today don't want to do. Lord forbid we listen to music that's not in 4:4. But I digress, I've gotta stop talking about their music and my general hatred for mainstream music. I could go on forever (not exaggerating).

What I want to highlight is their design. Every CD they've ever put out has pushed the boundaries of CD design. They always choose artists that are known for surreal or "different" styles. It fits their music perfectly. Storm Thorgenson did their first album "Deloused in the Comatorium", which was amazing. But their new artist Jeff Jordan is very different, yet still as engaging.

Here is an older CD cover from "Frances the Mute". It's not Jeff. But it's great. It reminds me of the organized chaos which is The Mars Volta.



Here is the Jeff Jordan CD cover art from "Amputechture".


Crazy right? This piece is called "Mutant", which The Mars Volta had to have. They have also commissioned Jeff to do other CD covers for them. Their latest album "Octahedron", for example.


Kudos to Jeff Jordan for making amazing art, and for supporting a band that makes amazing music.

Go to jeffjordanart.com and check out his work. And if you're brave, buy some of the Mars Volta's music. Frances the Mute is my personal favorite album, but I could see how Deloused in the Comatorium could be more accessible to "new ears".

No comments:

Post a Comment